Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Helping Mr. Fidgets

Working with the population of students I do, one of the most common issues I encounter is fidgity, restless, inattentive students.  About three years ago I talked to my Director of Special Education into trying out yoga balls as an alternative for students.  Since then, I have changed from desks to tables, and have offered students a variety of seating options.  I have noticed that different students have different preferences, but all seem to be benefiting from being able to choose the seating that best accommodates their needs.  Along with helping students with "the fidgets" I think the yoga balls have also
 

Students can use wiggle seats or yoga balls if they choose.

 
I was very excited when I received my CEC SmartBrief today, as it had an article about the same concept.  Looks like my idea wasn't so weird after all! 

Teachers make move to improve student focus by ditching desk chairs in favor of yoga balls 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment