Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Non-Fiction, Mrs. Hodges' Way

So we have been working on Non-Fiction Text Features for a while now.  It seems like I've covered "headings" and "captions" as many times as I can possibly stand before throwing up. As a final assessment, I didn't just want to give my kiddos some type of test-looking paper.  Between PSSA prep and the Field Tests we've been doing, they are already getting tested out!  So I came up with this little idea, and figured others may be able to use it as well.  It works with any non-fiction passage, and can be easily adapted if needed.  We used it with an article I had already printed for another activity but I've used articles from the free Scholastic magazines that I've gotten (you know the sample ones your "supposed to give to a friend").  They loved being able to draw on the article, plus I found they actually comprehended the story better after mapping out the passage first.

Non-Fiction Text Mapping


No comments:

Post a Comment